Discover how to cook boiled new potatoes with this easy to follow method. Once you've mastered the method, you can apply it to a number of dishes including our creamy new potato salad or new potatoes and cod en papillote.
On a hob:
- Place the salad potatoes in a pan and boiling water to cover the potatoes.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for approximately 15-20 minutes until just tender.
- Once cooked drain immediately.
In a microwave:
- Place the potatoes in a microwaveable dish with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover and cook on full power (800w) for 7-8 minutes.
- Carefully remove and allow to stand for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Salad potatoes taste great on their own, in their skins, but if you would like to add butter, here are some interesting twists:
- Citrus Butter: 25g softened butter mixed with the zest of an orange and half a lemon
- Herb Butter: 25g softened butter mixed with 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, mint, chives etc)
- Pesto Butter: 25g softened butter mixed with 1 teaspoon red pesto
- Garlic Butter: 25g softened butter mixed with 1-2 crushed garlic cloves
Tip: You don't need to add butter to salad potatoes, a handful of freshly chopped herbs, like parsley, adds flavour without the calories.